What you need to know:
• Little Oink is a hilarious picture book for young readers, with the caveat that older readers and adults will enjoy the humor and the illustrations just as much as the intended-for young audience.
• This picture book would make a great read aloud for all ages.
• We are huge Amy Krouse Rosenthal fans. Krouse Rosenthal brings a very keen eye for observation and a wholly original voice to whatever book she is writing, whether for adults or children.
• Corace’s pictures are, literally, delicious. Little Oink is one cute pig!
• Adults reader shouldn’t miss her very funny adult book, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life. You will be howling with laughter, especially if you grew up in the 70s.
• Krouse Rosenthal has many, many books for children, to say she is prolific is an understatement. Just talking about the “Little” books, there are three all together: Little Pea, Little Hoot and Little Oink, all with the same “opposite” premise.
Sweet Book Summary:
Little Oink is one fastidious little pig, much to the horror of his pig parents. He would much rather clean his room, but his parents say, “If you want to grow up to be a respectable pig, you must learn how to make a proper mess (!)”. I doubt there is one young reader out there who won’t delight in this “opposite” story. What young child hasn’t dreamed of his mom asking him to mess up his room and not clean it up? A large part of the appeal of Krouse Rosenthal’s story is the language, which your young reader will relate to; with phrases like, “He dug playing with his pig pals”, and “…they all lived hap-pig-ly ever after.” It is also a great study in humor and satire for the older reader to appreciate. Don’t miss this book!
Your child will learn to read books like Little Oink with Reading Kingdom. Sign up today for a free 30 day trial.
Latest posts by Melissa Bernard (see all)
- This Is Your Brain On Storytelling: The Chemistry Of Modern Communication – July 24, 2017
- It’s Hot Outside! – July 21, 2017
- Grumpy Bird – July 20, 2017